Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wells Cathedral: the arches

The most compelling reason to see Wells, rather than any other cathedral, is the arch system above. The shoring arches or scissor arches (also, owl-eye strainer arches) were inserted around 1338 to provide support to the crossing tower that was beginning to sink under its own weight. The construction of these magnificent arches took about ten years. Through the opening of the scissor arch you can see the fan vaulted ceiling over the crossing.
Another thing I really like about Wells Cathedral is its brightness. Compared with Notre Dame (I know I should like that cathedral, but I find it really gloomy), this is simply brilliant and clean. Of course, a lot of the whiteness has to do with the stones themselves, as well as with a major cleaning and restoration in the 80s. I think this is how it must have looked to the medieval masses who attended Mass here. There is also a lovely rhythm to the arches.
Below is a good picture of the rib vaulting in the nave.
Next is a picture of the crossing's fan vaulting. The organ was added in the mid-19th century.
The last picture is that of an arch that connects a staircase to the Chapter House. This arch contains three trefoils. I thought it was interesting that the top trefoil sits between the faces of the two below it.

No comments: