Thursday, June 14, 2012

La Via dell'Amore: Part I



Fortunately, the fog had burned off when it was time to see la Via dell'Amore, the Way of Love. The view was absolutely spectacular, and these photos have not been photoshopped. Enjoy!

Below, you can see the via carved into the side of the mountain. Unlike the sentiero from the preceding day, this path is exceptionally easy to walk.



Here I am at the official entrance on the Riomaggiore side. Above me are intertwined hearts with locks affixed to them. Italians do this a lot to demonstrate their love for someone. You often find this on the sides of bridges, too.






Yes, people made their way down to the base of the rocks by following a staircase. The warning for the stairs is seen in the next picture. We believed the warnings and stayed on the via.
Stairs to get down to sea level. I sure wouldn't want to climb those...not with my track record!
Part of the via is covered like a loggia, presumably to protect people from falling rocks.

No comments: