Saturday, July 6, 2013

London: The London Eye

 
Here we are on the London Eye!
 


Normally, Ferris wheels scare me.  On Thursday after training down from Leeds, I got it into my head that we should do something different and touristy since it was too late for Bill to do any work at the BL (British Library).  Here's a picture of Bill as we crossed the Jubilee Bridge.  He's trying to learn how to use his fancy camera, but to tell the truth he's still stuck on the green box (automatic) setting.


I am fascinated by the cabling involved in bridges.  While this structure differs from Roma's il Ponte della Musica, the suspension cables remind me of that bridge.


Here is a view looking up the Eye.  We had fabulous skies for our excursion.


This is the Jubilee Bridge.  Actually, it's two footbridges, one on either side of the train trestle.


From the pod of the Eye I zoomed in to capture this image of St. Paul's Cathedral.  I hope we get to go there later today (Saturday).  After visiting the COE, we'll head to the RC church to fulfill our Sunday obligation at the vigil Mass.  Oh, how I wish there were reciprocity between the two churches.  Besides, if you "go" to church "to worship," then you don't have to pay admission fees.  That's terribly cheap of me, I know, but it allows you an entire hour to take in the view of the church.


This is a view directly above us of the pod ahead of us.  The Eye revolves at an incredibly slow pace so you have no sense that you are moving.



Across the Thames is Parliament and Big Ben.


River traffic looking towards St. Paul's, whose dome is just visible in the upper right corner of the picture.


Here is the pod behind us, against the backdrop of the Jubilee Bridge.  We are still climbing at this point.
 
Here's lookin' at you, kid!
 
 
This is the view at the top!
 
 
There are monitors in the pods.  I'm not sure what information they provide, but this youngster seemed interested in anything that resembled a TV or iPad.  I like the picture because the reflection in the screen appears to belong to yet another person.
 
 
In addition to round buildings, I like exedras.  I think this might be part of the aquarium.
 
 
This is the view as we left the Eye.

No comments: