Monday, July 22, 2013

Durham: Row, row, row your boat...

One afternoon, Emilie, Sara, Mike and I decided to row down the Wear (rhymes with deer) River in Durham. 


We didn't ride along this part of the river, but both are pretty views and it seemed only proper to insert these pictures here.  The picture below was taken from a different little bridge in town.

 
This is the view from the stern as I looked behind us.  We could have taken the route that led to the castle and cathedral, but we chose to venture away from town so that we could see new sites.
 
 
 
I was surprised that we weren't given life jackets, but I guess you don't need them when the river is only 3 feet deep!  Here are some pasty-white British guys cooling off on a hot summer day.  Actually, the river was quite cold as Sara found out when I splashed her with my oar--sorry :(
 

 
Emilie and Mike both sported red-framed sunglasses.
 

 
Here is the University of Arkansas English Division rowing team: Emilie, Mike, Tricia and Sara. Emilie didn't quite make it into the frame.  In Brit speak I would have to say "here are the UA English Division rowing team."  

 
View from the riverbank.

 
Possibly THE ugliest picture of me!  I was really working it, but the muffin top above the beltline suggests I either need to row more or else cut back on three-course English breakfasts and desserts!  By the way, all of us girls ended up with callouses on our hands!

 
Mike and Sara--happy, competent rowers!
 

 
We liked this addition to the house on the river.

 
Sometimes we got a little off-track and headed towards the shore.  In fact, when I was rowing we (I) beached the boat.  Mike got us dislodged gondolier-style.  It's good to have a rugby player in your boat!


 
The little kids in this boat got life jackets.
 

 
Ducks!
 
 
When we finished rowing, we decided that we had earned ice cream cones. 


 
Finally, here's a brief video of our ride.  I am acting as coxswain.  As long as I didn't say "right" or "left" (whose right, whose left?), my instructions were pretty clear.  One other note, in England (at least) boats are steered on the right side of the river (just like Americans drive on the right side of the road).  Go figure!
 

 
 
 

No comments: