The Romanesque arches along the sides of the nave are semi-circles which provide a 2:1 ratio of width to height. The Gothic pointed arches which span the width of the nave actually have two radii, thus allowing for greater height, as well as for greater stability. The nave below was probably built between 1120 and 1133.
The feature that I really like about Durham Cathedral is that the piers between the semicircular arches are decorated with a variety of patterns, including chevrons (compare the pictures above and below).
Chevrons also appear on one surviving pier at the Lindisfarne Priory about 1-1/2 hours away by bus.
Next are some pictures that Bill and I took outside the cathedral and in its courtyard. Durham Castle is located on the left side of the picture below.
By the way, Professor McGonagall's classroom (Harry Potter) was filmed just off this corridor. I had a peek through the keyhole but couldn't get a good picture of it.
Finally, here is a picture of the dormitory. When it was used as such, each monk had a bed and a small desk with partitions between the cells.


No comments:
Post a Comment