Saturday, May 19, 2012

A night at the opera



In my current enthusiasm over the flora in Cambridge, I got ahead of myself and am now blogging out of sequence. Last month, Bill and I joined Rob and Roberta Billingsley and Sarah and Casey Jones for a get-away weekend in Kansas City. The stated reason was to see "The Barber of Seville" at the new opera house. These views were taken from the north side of the building where it resembles the Sydney Opera House.



Here I am on the south side of the building.



You can see the reflection of Kansas City in the windows.





We walked from our hotel. I was a little windblown and the sun was in my eyes, but Bill was all smiles.



Bill thought that the inside resembled the Guggenheim Museum in NYC.



And here's a picture of the Guggenheim that I didn't insert in an earlier blog.



Here are Bill, Robbie, and Casey.


Here are Roberta and Sarah.

Here are the six of us.


There are rails that separate the rows. They're not really needed for anything except for the electronic libretto. During the opera it provided an English translation (alas, no Italian). If you don't want to see the print, you have the option of turning it off.
This is the auditorium--a pretty happy-looking place.
This is the view at night.

We also ate quite well during this trip. Casey was in charge of that, although I did introduce the group to chorizo-filled dates at the tapas restaurant we went to after the opera. During the day, Sarah, Roberta, and I did a little shopping, while the guys made a two-stop pub crawl and ended up at a bookstore. It was a great weekend, and there's already some talk about taking in an opera next season.

No comments: