Friday, May 4, 2012

A bouquet for Cat



My thesis advisor, Cat Wallack, received her M.Arch. from Harvard's Graduate School of Design. Before I left for Boston, she strongly recommended that Sarah and I visit Harvard's Museum of Natural History to see their exhibit of glass flowers. By the way, the bright white spots on the images are reflections from the lights above.

The collection houses more than 3000 glass models of plants and plant parts for 830 plant species. They were constructed as models for students to study plant structures. The first models were constructed in 1886. You can see some of the plant parts--mostly the reproduction parts--in the picture below.



It is hard to believe that all of the structures and model components are made from glass.




Look at the fabulously fine root structure below.
Cat also recommended that we visit the Graduate School of Design. I saw the building from the outside but my tour of the building itself will have to wait until Sarah's graduation.
If you visit Harvard's campus, be sure to see the glass flower exhibit; you won't be disappointed.

No comments: