

Davide had told us that Diane’s atelier was in a basement so I expected to find a dark workshop similar to the ones I pass in centro. By the time we arrived, night had fallen, as well as some rain and the temperature, however, Diane’s below-grade office was visible from the glass doors at street level; the warm glow of the illumination of her office contrasted sharply with the outside environment.
Diane’s stock in trade, if you will, is glass. She is a glass artist who manipulates glass in a variety of pleasing ways through etching, painting, fusing, melting, cutting, and shaping; she also paints. She has created designs for dictators (Saddam Hussein), academy award winners, and porn-stars turned politicians. She loves color and loves to collaborate with her husband, Davide.
Diane is French but speaks fluent Italian and Spanish. She can also speak some English (arguably better than either my Fritaliano) but rarely does. Whenever I hear her speak in English I somehow feel honored because I know there are many others back in the States who have never heard her utter a word in our language. Despite the language barrier, I generally understand Diane because she is very animated; like Italians, she talks with her hands but she also talks with her eyes. Of course, when eyes, hands, and languages fail to convey the meaning, Davide is always there to translate.
To see my photos better just double-click. Also, you can check out Diane’s website at www.atelierterlin.eu. In a few months it will be available in English and French.
No comments:
Post a Comment