Wednesday, November 19, 2008

And now for something completely new







In the past few days we have seen the modern side of Roma. One evening we went to the GIL (Gioventu' Italiana del Littorio), a former Fascist youth club, located in Trastevere. I've included a photograph of the building when it was first opened (the last photo). Currently, it's being renovated under the direction of one of Davide's friends, Luigi. The picture of the spiral staircase provides a glimpse of the building's original beauty. The GIL was designed by Moretti who, incidentally, also designed the Watergate. The night we attended we also viewed a small competition/exhibit on water. It was like a mini-Biennale but with a more directed focus.

Also this week, we toured the EUR. Like the GIL, the EUR (Esposizione Universale di Roma)is Fascist architecture. It was part of Mussolini's plan to connect Roma to the sea. The first picture is an EUR manhole cover. In Roma, the manhole covers say SPQR which basically would be equivalent to finding USA printed on our manholes. The juxtaposition of the relatively new architecture against the Baroque is refreshing but the modern architecture lacks the warmth of the places from where it draws its inspiration--the Pantheon, the Colosseum (the second photo), and the exedras. In other words, it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

We also paid a quick visit to Roma Tre's Law School. The third picture shows the transparent curtain wall of glass of the main classroom building.

Davide also showed us a low-income housing neighborhood. It's a charming area with a lot of personality that is designed in the vernacular of Roma. I haven't included pictures in this blog because, frankly, I was going for that steely-cold modernism affect with my pictures.


I find it odd that when I think of Roma I recall the old buildings but it is the sleek fixtures and furniture that come to mind when I think of Italian design. I guess that's why I like Roma so much.

No comments: