


This is Alberta, our delightful little glove lady that I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs. Bill neglected to pack a pair of gloves and now that the arctic cold has descended upon us (the "foehn") he is in need of protection against the elements. Alberta is about 83 or so. On Saturday, she was joined by her granddaughter, I presume, who didn't have school on this particular Saturday. (No wonder the Italians seem so intelligent--they attend school six days a week!) In the first picture she is stretching the gloves with a wooden form. Notice that the shop itself is perhaps only 8' to 10' wide. In the second picture, she is caressing the gloves over Bill's hand. Bill tried on three pairs until he located just the right pair. Bill has said in the past that you really feel "at home" when you have a barber and a dentist. I guess that's why we feel at home in Roma--we have a glove lady!
P.S. Since I posted this blog about an hour ago, one of our students, Jonathan, paid a visit to Alberta. He's sporting his new purchase "thumbs up" in the first picture. In addition to getting some nice leather gloves, Jonathan enjoyed his little visit with Alberta. The Italian people, with the notable exception of the barracuda lady, are absolutely charming.
No comments:
Post a Comment