Monday, November 24, 2008

Brunch, Italian style







We invited the Del Gessos, Barbara, and her boyfriend, Luca, to our place for Sunday brunch. Since the kids were coming, we first had to baby-proof the apartment. I decided to prepare my asparagus egg dish because I could procure the ingredients rather easily. We were fortunate to have found the last bunch of asparagus at the Despar. I still had 2 eggs left, so I decided to make another batch of brownies--Emilio wasn't around the day that I brought them to the Center, so he had never tasted them. In addition, I served veal with a reduced glaze of broth and orange juice, bread, tomatoes, fennel, plus 2 other desserts: the granita and the prunes. Our guests had the prunes and the brownies, little Giulia had her first taste of ice cream, I had a brownie and some granita, Bill just had a brownie, and Emilio had about 3 servings of brownies! The Italians LOVE my brownies. They are so simple that I'm almost embarrassed to pass on the recipe. Of course, I had to explain the difference between baking powder and baking soda--how one reacts with hot water, the other with vinegar. Not able to recall which was which, we conducted a little experiment. Baking powder reacts with vinegar, in case you're interested. The afternoon was really lovely and reminded me of family visits with Bill's family when his aunts and cousins come up for the afternoon.

No comments: