Monday, January 30, 2012

A new name and face at Roma's Stazione Termini

I can't tell for sure from old newspaper articles if Roma's train station has indeed been renamed. There seems to have been a dispute a few years ago between the Vatican and the city of Rome over that issue. What is new to the station proper is a sign with Pope John Paul II's name on it. Perhaps equally controversial is the statue of him outside the station. The Romans don't care for the likeness to the late pope--his head is too round and green and the pedestal too low. As a result, the pope is scheduled for an Extreme Makeover.
The open cloak is supposed to symbolize the Pope's "desire to welcome humanity."
I do find the lights a distraction from the statue, as well as a tripping hazard, so in that respect I am happy they are going to change things. Of course, the sculptor, Oliviero Rainaldi isn't too pleased with the reaction the statue has received from the public.
I have mixed feelings about it. It strikes me as heavy and monolithic, perhaps because so much of the Baroque statuary in Rome tries to overcome gravity. I do like the smile, however.
This is not the only protest to a public display in Rome. The Christmas tree pictured below was replaced with a lighted, wire version of the Nativity Scene because the mayor and many of the citizens hated the tree. The tricolor ribbon recalls the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy.
My conclusion: Rome takes design seriously.

No comments: