
First, to the creator of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, Alexander Anderson, thank you for your clever and smart cartoons. I hope that I am not in violation of any copyright laws by using this image I found in Photobucket.
Second, to my husband who likes to imitate Bullwinkle in his classes, thank you for providing me with the idea for this blog. Too bad most of the students these days don't know who Rocky and Bullwinkle are.
And now, coeds seeking knowledge, today's subject is science.
OSMOSIS
Bill purchased a cardboard box of sea salt for us to use in Roma. We don't use that much salt. However, I noticed that as the days and weeks passed, the salt in the box was becoming damper and clumpier until finally one day I noticed that the box had "sweat marks" on it. Salt draws moisture in its direction.
MOISTURE
Obviously, we had a lot of moisture in the air which explains why a box of salt became increasingly damp.
MILDEW SMELL
The smell hit us pretty hard every time we entered the apartment, but after a few minutes we became accustomed to it. Now everybody loves to have a souvenir, but when that souvenir is the apartment odor on your clothes after they have been washed and dried in an American washer and dryer back home, then there's definitely a problem.
RADIATOR HEAT
Forced air heat might have helped the moisture situation in Roma, but I love radiator heat--no static electricity.
DRY SOCKS
Now I understand why my socks never fully felt dry. By the way, we've never had an American-style dryer in Rome.
DRYING OUT SALT
Trying to dry the salt with a hair drier is not the solution. I tried.
That concludes our science lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment