As Roberta found out when they visited Roma in 2005, it's no fun to be sick here. However, if you have to get a cold, Roma has THE BEST COLD MEDICINE EVER: ActiGrip. Also, they have medicated throat lozenges.
The day after Christmas I came down with a cold, and so it was ActiGrip to the rescue. In fact, I'm already on my second box of the stuff. Just when I thought I was getting over the cold, it morphed into laryngitis (and a cough). The laryngitis lasted over a week. Sadly, just as I was getting to the point of using the little Italian I know, I couldn't say a thing--not even in English. The cough was so bad one night that Bill took his pillow and duvet, and like a toddler with his blankie, moved to the other half of the apartment to sleep on a twin bed far away from my hacking.
I still have a bit of the cough which is why I am really irked today that the drama queen who lives one floor up from us kept us up for an hour and a half in the middle of the night shouting and slamming doors. It was interesting several nights ago that this "strega" (witch) put on a non-stop performance for two hours that eventually brought the Carabinieri to our building. She even argued with them! But that episode occurred during prime time, not bed time. Now we have two social events to attend today, one in which Italian should be spoken, and I am bleary-eyed. I even attempted a little nap this morning, but she was again at it at 8:30 am!
Hmmm...if she is going to keep this up, I may need to ask the farmacista for stronger drugs so I can get some sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment