
When you wake up in the morning and hear your husband placing a call to the insurance company, you know something is up...or down, in our case! I went to bed a little early last night because local weather coverage of strong winds and thunderstorms was interrupting both Letterman and Leno. Bill had fallen asleep in the blue recliner in the family room.
This was the remaining tree in the grassy part of our yard. Fortunately, when the wind blew, it blew from west to east. Had it been from the north I might not have been writing you this morning! Both of us must have been quite tired because neither one of us heard it fall.

Luke, the tree trimmer, who has yet to return to grind down the stumps from the felled trees of the ice storm won't have that concern here.

But my cheery little picket fence was wiped out! At least the boards are fresh so that the new ones won't clash!

And my lovely Shasta viburnum! Alas! I guess they'll get a major reshaping!

I'm glad Bill didn't invest in grass seed for the back yard. He was waiting to seed until the other stumps were removed.

I suppose the most disconcerting discovery this morning is not that another tree has fallen or my little fence is kindling, no, it's the discovery that there's a scratch on the lens of my relatively new camera! Oh me, oh my! When it rains, it pours.
The optimist in me, however, looks forward to a game of bocce with one less obstacle in the way.
P.S. I took my camera to the camera shop, and it's not a scratch. Apparently, I got a little too close to a flower I was shooting. The following are some pics taken later in the day with a clean lens.

The problem seems to be that we had a hydrostat beneath the root of the tree. Look at all that water!

Look at my fence! This leather viburnum looks OK, but it's neighbor, the shasta viburnum didn't fare so well.
This view is looking up the yard. I find it amazing that so much earth was taken with the tree and its roots.

The only incidental benefit (the reverse of collateral damage?) is that the dead branch on top of the weeping cherry was either blown away by the storm or knocked down by the falling tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment