
It occurred to me when I took these pictures that Fayetteville puts a lot of emphasis on peace. Previously, I have posted images of the Kaminsky Peace Fountain on the Square and of the Omni Peace Tour. Now I will add a third tribute to peace, the J. William Fulbright Peace Fountain. This one is located on the UA campus just west of Old Main and east of Vol Walker. Old Main houses many of the departments from the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, although not the most important department, in my opinion, the English department which is located in Kimpel Hall. Vol Walker is home to the E. Fay Jones School of Architecture where I attended some of the best courses during my four years here.
J. William Fulbright attended the UA and was later named President of the university. His reputation, however, is linked to his years as a U.S. Senator.
This peace fountain was designed by E. Fay Jones, a former student of Frank Lloyd Wright, and Maurice Jennings. Wright's influence is apparent.

The flowering bushes are crepe myrtles. Along the eastern seaboard they would be trees. It's a very pretty part of campus.
No comments:
Post a Comment