




Little things in Italy (restaurants) can be as interesting as big things (the Colosseum or St. Peter’s). Take for instance, the toilet flusher. Americans just don’t understand exactly which button to use. Does the big button go with “big” things or with frequency of use? Hopefully, you see the usefulness of being able to correctly interpret the meaning of things big and small. Now that I’m a LEED accredited professional, I’m willing to bet that in the future the U.S. will adopt water-saving measures such as the dual-flush fixture. So let me pass on a helpful tip. Simply remember that big buttons go with big things. Enough said!
Now for doors. When the Delegazione Italiana came to Fayetteville in the spring, we were fortunate to have them as guests in our home. Now one of the things that always thrills me about Italy is the chance to visit the homes of our friends. I like to see the interiors of Italian homes. I figured that these gentlemen from the delegazione were as curious about our lifestyle as I am about theirs, so I took them through my house and even showed them my sweater closet. The following day during the symposium, one of them asked why Americans had such leaky doors. I’m sure he’s referring to my front door which was hand made and for which we’ve never been able to insert weather-stripping. There’s a lot of exfiltration at our front door. I prefer to think of it as a healthy thing where fresh air can enter of its own accord. In truth, Alberto made an excellent point that day about leaky doors. American doors are leaky. By comparison, take a look at how Italians construct doors. They are self-flanging. Now this is good design, don’t you think?
Francesco suggested we have lunch at Il Rossopomodoro. The design of the restaurant is very clean and sleek. The pizza is excellent, too. I was so hungry that I began to eat before I realized that I should take a picture. Billy and Catherine, you would love this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment