

Two heads are better than one. I think that’s why the institution of marriage is generally a good one. You will recall the difficulties we had with our laundry. Senza un spin cycle! Now you would think that someone who earns his living by reading would actually read the instructions on the washing machine. Oh, no! Leave it to the little casalinga who has no terminal degrees, only a collection of primary ones to point out to il maestro that there are instructions posted to the inside of the outside washing machine door—remember we have two doors on this machine. Lo and behold. Abbiamo un spin cycle.
This little casalinga is making headway with other household functions, too. I’ve actually prepared two decent meals: veal scaloppini with a touch of onions and orange and roasted Cornish game hen, ok, maybe Italian game hen, or if you prefer, an itsy-bitsy chicken. All of this is in anticipation of actually inviting the faculty and staff for dinner. Originally, I had planned on seating six at my table because my table seats six. However, the oven is tiny; the oven door actually hits the side of the refrigerator when I open it. While I’ve easily doubled the square footage from the last apartment to this one, I’m still working in a space that’s about a third of my cozy room at home. You could say this kitchen is cozy-cozy or cosi’-cosi’. I just made a macaronic pun, according to Bill, which is doubly so I guess since we think of macaroni as Italian. Ha ha, lol.
Bill is currently watching Roma play Chelsea. Billy would love to be here right now, although my anglophile probably would be cheering for Chelsea. Traitor! Shall I disown him? Earlier we caught two of our favorite shows: l’Eredita’ (The Inheritance) and La Ruota della Fortuna (Wheel of Fortune). We use l’Eredita’ to help us with our Italian because the questions are actually printed on the TV screen. Wheel of Fortune is the same here as in the U.S. Actually, until tonight I didn’t think that the contestants could buy vowels but they can. Both shows have over-endowed, gratuitously sexy, excessively long-legged women who “sell” the show. In this respect neither show is politically correct but both help us with our Italian. Davvero!
Bill may be the professor but I spent the evening in academic pursuits. First, I wrote a little essay about this crazy-looking famiglia for Italian class and then I redrew il Tempietto. [Grrr…Chelsea just scored.] I’m not good at sketching buildings, I think because it’s difficult for me to “see” the entire building within a single field of vision. Il Tempietto is constructed within a very small courtyard, so small that not even my camera could fit the entire structure within the viewfinder. Jonathan, one of the humanities students, showed me how to merge two photos into one in Photoshop using the Automate function and that helped. It’s easier to sketch from a photo but I always feel as if I’m cheating when I do that.
Well, Roma has only 5 minutes to score 2 goals. I guess I’ll pack up. Forza Roma!
Incidentally, the images are of the spice booth at the Campo and the merged images of il Tempietto--no wonder I can't get the perspective just right!
No comments:
Post a Comment