Saturday, July 26, 2014

Iceland: Þingvellir

I have to copy and paste the above word because the letter "thorn" no longer exists in English (as it once did in Old English), although you can still find it in Icelandic. Consequently, I can't find it on the Blogspot keyboard! The Icelandic name in the title would be pronounced "thingvellir" (well, let's say given my limited exposure to Icelandic, "loosely pronounced") and means "thing fields" (or maybe "thing valleys"). It was also the site of the Icelandic Parliament from 930 to 1798 c.e.

Of more interest to me than its political or historical importance is its geological significance. Here you find the Mid-Atlantic ridge. It's a rift valley where the tectonic plates of North America and Eurasia meet. (Thank you Wikipedia and tourist guide.) In other words, I was able to pass easily (via coach) from one continent to another on land. I think that's pretty cool.


It also explains why volcanoes interrupt air travel from time to time.


I'd like to tell you with certainty that the above picture is that of the Eurasian plate, but I honestly can't remember. To tell the truth, one rock kind of looks like another. Nevertheless, since I previously blogged about Iceland's rocks, regardless of which side of the rift they're on, I find them to be quite extraordinary.




I like the way the rocks look soft and fuzzy.



See that little rock wedged between the two boulders in the picture below on the right? It looks mighty precarious to me!




And here is waterfall #3. It was man-made circa 1000 to bring drinking water to the "Allthing" or Parliament.



Remember that little rock I saw?



Here are our friends, Bea and John. John is a medievalist and was once a guest lecturer at the U of A.



Below is a view of Iceland's largest natural lake, as well as of the rift.


Iceland is just full of geological wonders.


No comments: