Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How I didn't buy an emerald ring and bought a sweater instead

When it comes to jewelry, I need no prompting. However, Bill told me not once but twice to check out an estate jewelry store near our hotel. So I did.

My engagement ring is a square cut diamond set at a 45 degree angle. Simple, yet unique. You can imagine my surprise when I found a square-cut emerald set at a 45 degree angle in the window! Actually, the guards above and below the ring have nothing to do with the ring in question. So I went inside and tried on the ring. It's from the 1950s (as am I), but it looked a little tired (who's not). Ah, that's a good reason to walk away from a ring, don't you think!



Frankly, if it had been a diamond for the same price it would have been a little harder to leave behind. After all, diamonds go with everything whereas emeralds don't.

When you pass up a $4600 ring, you don't feel quite so bad buying an Ann Taylor sweater at 40% off. So I did, and I don't feel too guilty about it either!



You have to admit, this is a very pretty sweater. It will look nice with pearls. Hmmm, maybe I need to head back to the jewelry store!






When it comes to jewelry, I don't really need Bill to tell me to look at it. I do. I like sparkly things. I guess I get it from both sides of the family--Grandma Reed on my father's side and Aunt Anna on my mother's. Anyway, Bill told me not once but twice to look at an estate jewelry








No comments: