
The other night after dinner, Joe took us on a walking tour of this lovely district that is just a few blocks from our hotel. It reminded me of Williamsburg, but with the added intimacy of our Via Giulia neighborhood in Roma last year.

When I look at a staircase as beautiful as this, I know why I like things neoclassical. Even this window is very pretty, although I can't for the life of me figure why the owners stuck that Victorian-style bouquet on the window. Even if they liked the stained glass, the scale is all wrong. But I digress.

So until Roma, I was strickly 18th century--British or American.

But then I lived in Roma, and the Cinquecento started to rub off on me, leaving me terribly conflicted.
Officially, I like both, I guess. And now, I even like Italian modern.
By the way, Philadelphia's answer to the Fayetteville Square at Christmas is Rittenhouse Square. There aren't as many lights, but with skyscrapers lit at night as a backdrop, you just don't need as many.

No comments:
Post a Comment