Thursday, September 3, 2009

Boules, bocce & croquet

We had a very busy social schedule last weekend, one full of boules, bocce, and croquet.

The first event was Friday evening at the Billingsleys. This was Roberta's second "White Party." Everyone had to dress in white and then we had to pretend we were very rich. I was Bunny and Bill was Lance. Can't you just see us in Newport, Rhode Island?



Here's a group shot: Casey Jones (the City Prosecutor) and his wife, Sarah (one of Bill's former students), Bill, me, Chuck Adams and Rhonda, Roberta, and Rob (the psychiatrist).



We're either playing bocce or boules. But these balls are smaller than our bocce balls (read on) and are metal, so I really think we were playing boules. Boules is a French lawn bowling game.



We dined al fresco. Salut!



At this point in the evening I became interested in taking artsy shots with my camera.



This is a view looking up at the wisteria and white lights that hang on the pergola. I thought the wisteria pods looked cool in the glow of the lights.



Then I took a picture of Zelda, the Billingsley's psychotic old cat. Take a look at the window pane to the right of Zelda. Those are her eyes reflected in the glass. I think she's an evil cat. She even hisses.



The sub-theme of reflections continued. This is my engagement ring under the little lights that hang from the pergola. This photo is not enhanced.



Well, that was Friday night.

On Saturday night, Bill and I went to Melissa and Curt Rom's house. Curt was the first honors professor I ever took at the UA. We also saw him in Italy last fall. Melissa was an English major, although never one of Bill's students. She now works in the UA athletic department.

Here Curt is throwing a bocce ball. Their grass was so lush and thick that we had difficulty finding the pallino.



I love this patio furniture.



Here is the food that Curt and Melissa prepared for us. Yumm...



Here I am again taking photos of wine and glasses and reflections. Look at the bowl of the spoon--the wine is reflected in it.



OK, now it's Sunday afternoon. The croquet party at Jo's house was another white party, but we didn't get the memo. There is Dick looking up at us.



Here is Robbie hitting the croquet ball.



I hold a mallet this way.



Bill holds it the other way. Actually, either method is correct.



We still had our bocce set in the car from dinner at the Rom's, so we got it out and played some bocce. It's not a bocce game unless the closest ball to the pallino is contested.



Roberta and I beat the guys in this throw.

It was simply a wonderful weekend full of good friends, fine food, and fun sport.

No comments: