Friday, October 30, 2009

Birthday buds!



When you're a little kid it's no big deal to share your birthday with friends. After all, grades in elementary school are based on age. But when you grow up (I guess I'm grown up now), it's fun to celebrate the event with others my age who have birthdays within a matter of a few weeks. So, this is a little tribute to my birthday buddies.

First of all, there is my college (Xavier) suitemate, Catherine Bixler Valentine, who has exactly the same birthday as I. Happy Birthday, Catherine!

Then there is Davide Vitali, our Italian friend pictured above on the right. Davide is older than I am by 18 days. He was born on Columbus Day (October 12th) which is easy to remember because that's the Italian equivalent of St. Patrick's Day for Italian Americans. Since he's Italian it makes for a convenient mnemonic device. However, Italians in Italy don't celebrate this holiday so Davide has to remember it all by himself (although I do help out by letting him know once a year that he is older than I am). While on the subject of Columbus Day birthdays, Bill's cousin, Anto, was also born on October 12th. She's a year older than we are. She, too, is Italian (and Welsh). I must also mention that Anto's mother, Bill's Aunt Mary, was born on October 30th. I guess you could say I was born on her birthday.

Then there is Chuck Adams. He is pictured above on the left. Chuck is two days younger than I am. Just as I razz Davide, Chuck razzes me. Chuck's birthday is easy to remember because it's All Saints' Day. Chuck sometimes signs off as Carlo, so it makes me think of San Carlo. Like Bill, Chuck is an English professor (and Associate Dean) and has taught in Roma with Davide. A few weeks ago someone in the Student Union mistook Chuck for Bill. Bill is 3 years and 5 months to the day older than I am. I may be older, but... (tee hee).

This year my friends, Catherine, Davide, Chuck, and I turn 55. The double nickel as my good friend, Bob Baker calls it. There are some entertaining stories that go with this birthday.

Story #1: The other day a vendor came into the office. She, too, was 55 but wasn't blessed with my father's deceptive age genes. She thought Tim (the owner) was about 27 or 28--he's 36. When I asked how old she thought I was she said about 38. Truth is that whenever you ask another woman her age she will automatically lower the age to avoid committing a huge social gaff. So maybe she thought I was really 45 but was afraid to say so. Allowing for social tolerances, that's not so bad.

Story #2: My favorite law at Social Security is the one passed down from British Common Law that says a person is deemed to attain the next age on the day preceding the birthday. Last night we went to see Billy's girlfriend, Sarah, sing in the UA choral concert. While I stayed behind visiting with Sarah's family, Bill and Billy purchased the tickets. Billy came back with a student ticket, and Bill bought me my first-ever senior citizen ticket. Like rank, age has its privileges (I guess). Then Bill offered to take me to Denny's for a senior citizen breakfast. What a dear!

To the Libras and Scorpios turning 55 this year--happy birthday, buon compleanno, tanti auguri--to us!

No comments: