
My own recollection as to the origin of the ribbon's iconography goes back to the days of the Iranian hostages and to the song made famous by Tony Orlando and Dawn, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree." To test that theory I went to the internet and found the following site which provides greater discussion on the origins of the significance of the yellow ribbon: http://www.loc.gov/folklife/ribbons/ribbons.html. Having been around for a while, long enough to remember both Watergate and the Iran Crisis, I wasn't surprised to see that the symbol was adopted during the Gulf War(s). Nowadays magnetic versions of the yellow ribbon often appear on American bumpers as a show of support for our veterans.

Yellow isn't the only color in use. In America you can find red ribbons at the Academy Awards and on cereal boxes. Although the color is the same, the significance differs according to context. Red ribbons at the Academy Awards recall those who have lost their lives to AIDS. The red ribbon on my Kellogg's Smart Start cereal is in support of healthy hearts.

Later this month we'll see a plethora of pink ribbons in support of breast cancer survivors. In fact, I'll be walking with Roberta, herself a survivor, in the 1-K Komen Walk for the Cure at the end of the month.

While I have never lived in L'Aguila or Onna, I have lived as a Roman for a total of half of a year. So in a sense the earthquake victims are also my countrymen. I am moved by the black ribbon, especially as the somber days of Holy Week approach. The state funeral for the earthquake victims will be held on Friday, Good Friday. May they rest in peace.
P.S. While watching the evening news last night, the reporter commented on how the wife of Capt. Richard Phillips has tied yellow ribbons to their picket fence and trees at home. Capt. Phillips is currently being held hostage at sea.
No comments:
Post a Comment