Saturday, January 8, 2011

On the para-military nature of children's apparel

I was cleaning closets the other day when I came across my children's dress winter coats and was struck by the consistent use of military detailing in the designs.

This was Catherine's, and later Billy's, first coat. Depending on whether you are dressing a girl or a boy you can button the coat accordingly.


This was Billy's first all-boy coat--a size 3. We have another one just like it in size 5.



Notice the chevron on the sleeve. Three stripes...that must make Billy a Naval Commander!



You would think that this fuschia coat would be exempt from military detailing but note the double-breasted front!



The coat below has a large velvet bow on the back. I thought that this was the only one not militarized, but then Bill pointed out the banding on the cuffs. As for the hat, it looks like it's straight out of a scene from The Sound of Music.



I always thought that with her long hair Catherine should have tried out for the part of Gretl!



This couldn't be more military!



The difference between these coats and children's clothes today is that nowadays kids are dressed in desert camouflage.

Incidentally, while in Europe this summer, my camera got too close to some metal fencing that I was trying to shoot through and I scratched my lens. That's the reason there's a white blotch in the center of nearly every shot. Hmmm...note to self...have to get that fixed.

No comments: