
This is the approach to Powerhouse Seafood, one of three seafood restaurants in Fayetteville. The restaurant is down in the "holler" ("hollow" is the correct spelling and means "valley"), wedged between the railroad tracks to the east and the power transformers to the west.
Frequently, you can run across bumper stickers on cars that say "Keep Fayetteville Funky." Because it's a college town, Fayetteville has more character, at least in my humble opinion, than some of the other towns along Interstate-540, and Powerhouse Seafood is just one example of this. The owners of the most prestigious jewelry store in town decided to invest in this property. When Bill and I first moved here 30 years ago there were only a couple of restaurants worth visiting and none of them specialized in seafood. Our geography has us landlocked here so aside from ordering trout and catfish there wasn't much we could do except eat frozen fish.

This is what the restaurant looks like during the day. The restaurant is called Powerhouse Seafood because it occupies the former powerhouse for the electrical plant and it specializes in seafood. If you look closely behind the screen of Bradford pear trees, you can see the transformers, etc. We met one of Bill's former students there last night for dinner. They don't serve "fizzy" water like Perrier, alas, but their fresh Orange Roughy was delicious. I ordered mine "blackened" which means that it was coated with Cajun seasonings before it was grilled. Our daughter, Catherine, likes to sit on the patio during summer months and listen to live music while sipping on a Long Island tea (or two).

The above picture was taken last night from the parking lot. It's either a really bad photograph that demonstrates that I don't know what I'm doing with my camera or it's art. I like it so I'll call it art. Of course in reality the restaurant doesn't glow like this but since it rests at the base of the transformers, the image is appropriate to its namesake, I suppose.

Here is a view of the interior of the restaurant. It's got that quirky warehouse-meets-memorabilia-meets-kitch look to it. I like the hanging fish because they're silly.

This little guy hangs on the brick wall opposite the entrance. I think he's adorable, and it reminds me of my childhood when logos like the Sinclair dinosaur and the Mobile gas Pegasus illuminated the skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment