Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day: Part III








These are pretty pictures of the tree in the living room. For several years before my mother died she sent us boxes of special ornaments so that every year we would think of her. This is Dorothy and her little dog, Toto. I also have the Tin Man, the Scarecrow, and the Lion.

The second ornament goes back to my childhood. There are six of these "moderne" stars. Whenever I see them they make me happy. I especially like this pink star. This reminds me that when I was little we had a string of lights with special bulbs: a bunch of grapes, a sun, a moon, etc. They were similar to the chili pepper lights but each one was different. I wish you could buy bulbs like that now.

The remaining ornaments are just fun. I like glass ornaments on the tree. Roberta and Robbie gave us the bird ornament this Christmas. It was perfect because I needed something to "perch" on a branch. I think the penguin and pink pig with the clover are silly. They, too, bring a smile to my face.

We have artificial trees. Every year when Bill plugs branch A into hole A I am reminded of my first real boyfriend, Tim McKenzie. He's the one who got me interested in English and he had a quirky sense of humor. We were on the phone as his folks were setting up the tree and he began to quote Joyce Kilmer, "only God can make a tree."

I was lazy this year and set up only one tree. I have a small tree that I set up in either the study or cozy room with little Royal Doulton figurines and a pearl garland and satin ribbons; that tree always reminds me of my Great Aunt Anna because of the figurines. In the family room there are normally three trees (small, medium, and large) that look like they were cut down from a pine stand in Norway; on those trees I hang little paper origami ornaments I made a few years back.

So that's the story about the tree. My mom was right, Christmas ornaments bring back memories.

No comments: